Today’s video is the first in a four-part series called “The Four Pronged Approach”. In keeping with the theme of our Mastermind call for this month, “Your Mouth – Your Body – Your Health” which focuses on wellness, in this first Video on Prong One, I discuss treating periodontal disease from the INSIDE OUT.
This Four Pronged Approach was developed by me as a treatment-planning tool to assist Dental Hygienists and Dentists in developing a personalized, customized treatment plan for each patient. You can access the entire article and a visual aid for your own use chair-side. You can also find the links on our Facebook page.
Using this Four Pronged Approach guarantees you will be creating a treatment plan that is in the best interest of the patient; designed to give the best treatment outcomes and promote disease remission.
Treating periodontal disease from the INSIDE OUT is not something we typically focus on and in some cases something we may not feel entirely confident in presenting. Take a look at the partial list below of things that patients should consider doing for themselves from the INSIDE OUT during the active phase of periodontal treatment as well as long-term disease remission:
- Periostat, 20mg doxycycline taken 2x per day for a minimum of 3 months
- High quality dietary supplement designed to increase blood serum antioxidants
- Consume a diet high in leafy greens, brightly colored fruits and vegetables in their raw form whenever possible – these foods not only increases the blood serum antioxidant levels, they also increase Total Antioxidant Capacity in the saliva
- Drinking lots of water
- Tobacco cessation/Decrease use during therapy
- Eliminate or reduce alcohol consumption
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep each night – sleep is required for the body to heal