Are you wondering where the profession of dental hygiene is going in the next 5-10 years? You’re not alone. While I don’t have a crystal ball and I’m sure our industry will change more in the next few years than it has in decades, I do have a few predictions. I shared these with Gary Bird recently on his Dental Marketing Theory podcast.
Here’s a bit of what I share in this episode:
Where the hygiene world is at right now in my view
Where I see it going
How temp hygiene has evolved
Why Practice Protocols > Provider Protocols
How the clinical leader can make or break a hygiene team
Changes in PPO involvement within our client community
Lately I’ve been reviewing a lot of hygiene job postings for our clients. There are a few that are stellar and I have to say, I’m surprised how many job postings are really bad.
Would you send out a patient mailer that has plain text and looks like every other piece of boring mail they get? Of course not. You’d use a beautiful, multi-color marketing piece that is a reflection of your beautiful practice. You might include a patient testimonial or a great photo of your team.
Attracting skilled and motivated dental hygienists to provide quality care and support your practice’s growth can be challenging in today’s competitive market. To help you succeed, we’ve compiled a list of 17 proven tips that can enhance your ability to recruit top-tier hygienists.
1. Continuing Education Events: Host Continuing Education (CE) events at your practice and use these opportunities to interact with attendees. Ask if they know of any potential candidates looking for positions, thus expanding your network.
2. Highlight Team Outings and Events: Share photos of fun team outings, birthday celebrations, and volunteer events on your social media platforms and within job postings. This showcases a vibrant and engaging work culture that candidates would want to be a part of.
3. Showcase Team Member Testimonials: Encourage your current team members to create short 1-minute videos highlighting why they love working in your practice. Authentic testimonials can provide valuable insights and attract like-minded professionals.
4. Networking with Educational Institutions: Establish connections with nearby dental hygiene schools by hosting happy hours, lunches, or offering to give regular guest lectures. Building relationships with educators and students can create a direct pipeline for potential candidates.
5. Leverage Social Media: Utilize the power of social media by posting open positions on your practice’s accounts. Engage with potential candidates through platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn to increase your reach and visibility.
A positive and vibrant team culture is a magnet for attracting exceptional hygienists. Focus on these strategies to foster a team environment that resonates with potential candidates.
6. Team Culture: Build a healthy team culture that your existing members are proud of and want to brag about in your community. A supportive and collaborative atmosphere will naturally attract like-minded professionals.
7. Guest Hygienist Experience: When guest hygienists visit your practice, provide them with an exceptional experience. Impressions from these interactions can spread, making your practice more appealing within the dental community.
8. Flexible Work Options: Whenever possible, offer flexible work hours and consider job-sharing opportunities. This appeals to candidates seeking a better work-life balance and can make your practice more attractive.
9. Visual Job Postings: Make your job postings visually appealing by incorporating colorful images that resonate with the practice’s culture and values. Balance text with visuals to capture candidates’ attention more effectively.
10. Clear and Concise Format: Use bullet points to present job details in a clear and concise manner. Avoid long-form text that may overwhelm candidates, allowing them to quickly grasp the essentials.
11. Ad Space: Don’t waste valuable space in job postings on things hygienists already know they will need to do as part of their job (scaling, patient education, take x-rays, etc).
12. Utilize Recruiting Services: Consider partnering with a recruiter or staffing agency that specializes in dental professionals. Their expertise can help you identify and connect with suitable candidates more efficiently.
13. Competitive Compensation: Clearly communicate that you offer competitive pay and opportunities for compensation growth. This can be a decisive factor for candidates weighing their options.
14. Posting Platforms: Use multiple job posting platforms and check your postings at least weekly, ideally daily.
15. Utilize Video: Embed links to doctor videos, patient testimonials, and team videos on your practice website within job postings. Video content adds a personal touch and gives potential candidates a glimpse into your practice’s environment.
16. Technology Training: Highlight your willingness to train candidates on the practice’s technology and provide support for seamless integration. Assure potential hires that they’ll have the tools and guidance to excel in their roles.
17. How You Will Help Them Succeed: Highlight what you provide to help hygienists do their jobs well. Highlight modern equipment, sharpening service, time for patient care, solid perio program, hygiene assistant, etc
Incorporating these tips into your recruitment strategy can enhance your ability to attract talented dental hygienists to your practice. By focusing on engagement, team culture, and strategy, you’ll create an environment that appeals to top-tier candidates and sets your practice apart in the competitive landscape.
Inspired Hygiene has proven results helping dental teams create an average increase in hygiene production by well over 30%. To learn how we can help you create the same, schedule your customized, no-cost Hygiene Opportunity Assessment here.