I read a quote by Bob Nelson this week “People may take a job for more money, but they often leave it for more recognition.” What a profound statement! Although we know that money is a motivator, it is truly undeniable that the praise, thank yous and small rewards that keep the people around us committed, self-motivated and willing to go the extra mile.
One of our clients, Dr. Guy Peterson, treated his team to tickets to see the Broadway play “Wicked.”
Here are some of the creative tokens of appreciation that my teams have come up with to “Celebrate Good Times”.
- Single out a staff member and “show case” them randomly at the staff meeting
- Grab bag of gift cards and/or money for the staff to pick from throughout the month
- Surprise the team with a limo ride and $100/per staff member to spend at the mall
- Rent a van and take the team to see “Wicked” in the “Big City”
- Spa day for the entire team to share together
- Randomly send flowers to a staff member with a note simply stating “Thank you for always going the “extra mile” for your patients, your team and me. You are appreciated” signed, The Team
- Instead of a staff meeting that was scheduled, make reservations at the team’s favorite local restaurant
- Tickets for the team to go see an NBA basketball game
Be creative and spontaneous. It doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to truly let those around you feel appreciated.